Monday, October 12, 2009

Stratford Upon Avon

Well today we went on a lovely day trip to the lovely town on Stratford, home of the Great William Shakespeare. We started the day at Mary Arden's farm.  I thought it was interesting that is was still a working farm.  I felt like I learned a lot more by seeing it rather than reading about it.  We saw some falconeering and learned about the servants as we watched them eat a real period meal.  We then headed to Anne Hathaway's house.  Anne Hathaway was the woman Shakespeare married when he was 18... she was 26... and pregnant.  I loved learning about Shakespeare's life before he was a playwright.  I also enjoyed seeing the actual cottage.  It was pretty much kept in the same condition it would have been when Anne and William were there.  It was bigger then I thought it would have been which showed that they were not a peasant family.  We then headed to the actual house Shakespeare was born in.  We went through a very interesting exhibit about him before.  It made me appreciate his lagacy a little more.  For example it said that almost at every moment of the day "Hamlet" is being performed somewhere in the world!  We had a few hours to kill after the birthplace and then we went to se the Royal Shakespeare Company's performance of "The Winter's Tale." This has been my favorite Shakespeare we have seen so far.  I loved the time period they portrayed it in and plot and the meaning behind it.  It was just a reminder of how we shouldn't judge others and the power of forgiveness.    

The Birthplace...
Anne Hathaway's Cottage...
The Winter's Tale...

No comments:

Post a Comment